Monday, July 1, 2013

Change Day

Coming to you from Menomonee Falls, Wisconsin--I know, that's a mouthful:

First off, I'd love to be sleeping right now, because I have to wake up in 6 1/2 hours, but unfortunately, I picked the spot by a tv and dvd player...so, naturally, four of the admin staff are camped around my bed watching a movie. And, of course, my bed is right next to the television. #firstworldproblems

Yes, I just used a hashtag in my blog. Get over it.

Today was...eventful. One of our kids chose to go home. He has acute patella tendonitis. At least, that's my understanding from what he told me when I picked him up at the hospital. It's the part of my job that I hate--kids telling me they need to go home and making that decision to do so. It was the same with one of the bass drummers early on in the season. It's always so unfortunate to see kids go home, especially after they've worked so hard to get where they are. It's the part of the job I hate.

I blame myself for part of it going down for this kid. I talked to Carol, our medic on tour right now, and I realized that I need to be more proactive when I'm on these medical runs--prepare the kids for what the doc will tell them, because it's always the same thing--"You need to go home. You're hurting your body. You're not going to get better until you stop doing what you're doing. This could ruin your life."

I've heard all of it before. After all, I had tendonitis in four places when I marched.

Yes, I get it, not everyone is the same, but the look on a kid's face when they've just given up hope is pretty heart-wrenching. Again, the part of the job I hate.

Today was change day with the corps--they relearned a large chunk of the closer and it will never be the same.

Change day--in more ways than one...

No comments: