Friday, January 25, 2008

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Bad

Walking to school has become a nightmare for me now. Every step you take heading towards BYU and in BYU could be your last. Every muscle in my body must be alert and ready for the slightest bit of slippage. Walking to campus is like walking through the mine fields in Vietnam. I know this because I’ve seen movies about Vietnam. Walking to BYU becomes a huge health hazard. Whenever there is snow I’m scared to step a single foot outside my dorm. The ice on the cement is very dangerous. Not only is the ice slippery, but most of the time you don’t even know its there. It’s hard to avoid something that is invisible to the naked eye. Because there is so much ice on the ground my trips to class are longer. I have to take more time to be mindful of where I step. If I’m not careful ice could kill me. The ice lingers around like some sort of phantom that lies in wait for unsuspecting kids. I can’t count how many near death experiences if had this semester. Actually I can and it’s 13. There have been times when I knew for sure that I was going to break my arm or neck or something. This must be the Lord’s university. If it weren’t for the guarding angels, almost every student on campus would be in crutches, a neck brace, or both or even dead. The ice on the cement is a huge problem and something must be done, before a student is sent home in a casket.

As I said before, the trip to school is a treacherous one. The administration at BYU must do something quick. All the students’ lives are at stake. This is a problem that needs immediate reaction. Students already have enough to pay for with housing, books, and tuition. Students don’t need a hospital bill on top of all that. There are many solutions to this ever growing problem. One solution would be to give each student BYU issued ice boots. This would help students get there safely. Another solution would be to install heated walkways so that ice cannot survive. I’ve seen parking lots that are heated for the winter. The technology is there for us to use. We must use it. Another solution would be to hire professional ice removers. This would be great because they would work fast and there would be no ice. All these solutions would take considerable amount of time and money. In the end it would be worth it. Lives are worth it.

Not so bad.

Walking to school has become a nightmare. I fear that every step I take will be my last. My body must be in peak physical condition and in a constant state of vigilance. Walking to campus is like walking through the mine fields of North Korea- trust me, I’m part Korean. Walking to BYU becomes a significant health threat; not only do I suffer the physical pains involved with slipping, I am also am terrorized by the fear of such an event. I can’t count how many near-death experiences I’ve had this semester, no wait, I can and it’s 13. Not only is the ice causing broken wrists and necks, but my trips to class are taking longer. I’ve missed quizzes because I’d spend too much time trying to keep myself from falling to my doom. This must be the Lord’s university, because the only reason I can come up with why every student isn’t in a cast or neck brace is that there are guardian angels protecting us. This ice on the paths is a huge problem and something must be done before a student is sent home in a casket.

The administration at BYU must do something about the ice quick because student lives are at stake. The students don’t need a hospital bill on top of tuition, books and housing. There are many solutions to this every growing problem. One would be to give each student a pair of ice boots so that they can get to class quickly and safely. Another solution would be to hire more professional ice removers so that the paths would be free of ice. The most reasonable and best solution to the ice crises would be to install heated walkways. All these solutions would require a considerable amount of time and money, but in the end it would be worth it because lives are worth it.

No comments: