Friday, January 25, 2008

A, Good. Title.

Bad

The problem of negative criticism has increased over the past few years. Even I have noticed it. It seems to get worse all the time. I can remember that as I matured that people have become more and more bitter and dissatisfied with the world. The may be because of maturity. As one gets older they widen their view of the world. They end up viewing more things that they found unsatisfactory. But I think that beyond that natural ageing process, the people that I interact with are becoming more and more self centered. They naturally do not seek to compromise. Instead they negatively criticize trying to have everything their way.

When we look at the world is if it must conform to meet our needs, it is easy to over criticize. A few days ago I listened to my roommate comment about a teacher that we had both had listened to lecture that day. I didn’t think that the lecture was that bad. There were several things that he talked about that I found pertinent and helpful. My roommate did not. He only spoke of the negative aspects of the lecture. It is as if everyone is playing devils advocate. I think that the devil has far to many advocates. As we grow as college students the necessity to be able to give constructive criticism grows increasingly important. In just a few years most of us will be in the workplace. In the workplace it is not a good idea to be tearing other people down all the time. Most of us will be married in a few years as well. Destructive criticism is no way to base your relationship on.

Better?

The problem of negative criticism has increased over the past few years; so much so that even I have noticed it. It seems to have gotten progressively worse as I have grown older. Some may point to maturity as a reason behind this increase of negative viewpoints, and as I matured people have become more and more bitter and dissatisfied with the world. As one gets older they widen their view of the world and end up viewing more things that they find unsatisfactory. But I think that beyond that natural ageing process, that the people that I interact with are becoming more and more self centered and naturally do not seek to compromise. Instead they negatively criticize; trying to have everything their way without respecting the views of others.

When we look at the world is if it must conform to meet our needs, it is easy to over criticize. As an example, a few days ago I listened to my roommate comment about a teacher that we had both heard lecture that day. I didn’t think that the lecture was that bad; there were several things that he talked about that I found pertinent and helpful; however, my roommate did not. He followed the suit of the majority of people that I interact with and only spoke of the negative aspects of the lecture. It is as if everyone is playing devils advocate but I think that the devil has far too many advocates. As we grow as college students the necessity to be able to give constructive criticism grows increasingly important. In just a few years most of us will be in the workplace and it is not a good idea to be constantly tearing down ones coworkers. Even beyond that, most of us will be married in a few years as well and destructive criticism is no to communicate with ones spouse.

No comments: